Friday, April 25, 2014

Alfred Kinsey


By Kelsey Wilkins
            Alfred Kinsey was a professor of sexology and the founder of the Sex Research Institute at Indiana University. He was born in Hoboken, New Jersey on June 23rd, 1894. Kinsey wrote a few books in his lifetime, these books included the Kinsey Reports, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male and Gentlemen’s Disagreement [1]. Kinsey believed that there was a spectrum of sexuality, which said people would fit under his scale, the Kinsey Scale of Sexuality. The Kinsey Scale said that there wasn’t such thing as a Gender Binary, you were either homosexual or heterosexual, there was no in between. Instead, a spectrum of sexuality meant that you fit into 1 of 7 different descriptions of sexuality. A 0 meant that you expressed Exclusively heterosexual behavior; a 3 meant that you expressed and equal amount of heterosexual and homosexual behavior and a 6 meant that you expressed exclusively homosexual behavior [2].
            Throughout his years of research, Kinsey was the main subject in controversy because he was the first researcher that said sex was common, even before marriage and also masturbation and homosexuality were common things [3]. In this day an age, all of those things seem pretty normal and it sound crazy that people were upset that Kinsey was saying these things, but I think I can also understand where these people were coming from. If you grew up in a conservative household that said you needed to wait for marriage to have sex or that you were always taught that God hated homosexuals, these things Kinsey said would sound crazy to you and your family and they would go against what you were taught since you were a young kid and it’s the only thing you know.
I think going through this class and learning what we have this past semester has really opened my eyes to a bunch of different things and I have realized that a lot of things are more “normal” than I though they were. I have also learned a lot about the history of America, Kinsey has been, other than Christopher Columbus, my favorite topic that we have talked about because of his controversy. What surprised me the most about Kinsey is that he interviewed pedophiles and convicted sexual criminals and didn’t turn them in. I’m not really sure how I feel about what he did. I can understand why people didn’t like it, but I also think that if he told them that whatever they say can’t be used against them in court then it makes his research more authentic because the people actually told the truth and that really helped with the research. I feel bad saying that what Kinsey did was right, by not turning these people in, but if he promised that he wouldn’t, so these people would tell him the whole truth, then I agree with what Kinsey did.
Citations


No comments:

Post a Comment